8/24/2012

A few travel memories from this summer

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I did a little bit of travelling this summer. I went to Newcastle for a weekend (I already shared a few pictures from that weekend) and to Germany for about a week in June. And this month we went to the Lake District.
 
Newcastle was just a weekend trip and mainly a very boozy one. It's one big getogether and we try to make it happen in a different place every year. Last year we met in Cardiff, this year it was Newcastle. Next year might be Liverpool, we'll see. I'd like that as I have been there before and really enjoyed it. We tend to not visit cities that much anymore as my husband and I tend to choose very active holidays over city breaks now. We have never been the beach-y kind and probably never will be.

 
 
 I like to go back to Germany and see my family and friends a few times a year but it's always difficult to decide where to go to. My parents' place is miles away from where most of my friends are. They are either all over Germany or like me live abroad or they are in Paderborn where I went to university. I try and see my family at least once a year (this year I went in January for my dad's 60th birthday) and this time I went to hang out with my friends.

I may or may not have cheated on my kitty ;-)
 

My friend Eva has the most awesome roof top terrace about the size of 3 UK terraced houses together so we spend most of our time there enjoying some good weather (and maybe some famous German adult beverages, too.
We even got the TV up there to watch the European Championship (that's European football for American readers)
 
We also had a lot of BBQs, please not the awesome technique used to get the bloody thing started. Only women can be this clever ;-)
 
As you can see my trip to Germany was not cultural at all. It was all about hanging out, relaxing and catching up with lots of good friends. I miss them a lot and wish I could see them more often.
 
But I got to hijack one of them. My superawesome friend Eva, who occasionally reads my blog. If she hasn't give up yet after my long blogging hiatus.... I love and miss you sweetheart. She came to stay with me for a few days.
 
 
As you can see, I added a lot more cultural experience to her stay. ;-)
 
 See, I took her to Basildon Park just outside Reading. It's where Prise and Prejudice (the Keira Knightley version) was filmed.
 
They had a cute little vintage kitchen exhibition going on.
practising our "the price is right poses"....
 
And that was June.....
 
 


 
 

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a most marvelous time with your friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah we did. Too bad I only get to see her once or twice a year. The other ones even less :-(

      Delete